PALERMO, ITALY - 22 MARCH 2017: A document in which the Senate of Palermo promulgates the 1492 edict of the King of Sicily Ferdinand II (called the Catholic) that banned Jews from the island, is shown here in the Municipal Archive of Palermo, Italy, on March 22nd 2017.
In 1492, Sicily’s Jews were banished from the island, the victims of a Spanish edict that forced thousands to leave and others to convert to Roman Catholicism. On Jan. 12, exactly 524 years to the day that the edict gave as a deadline for Sicily’s Jews to depart, Palermo’s archbishop, Corrado Lorefice, granted the emerging community the use of a deconsacrated oratory, to be transformed into Palermo’s first stable synagogue in five centuries. The synagogue will be located in what once was known as the Giudecca, Palermo’s ancient Jewish quarter
- ©2017 Gianni Cipriano
- Image Size
- 5760x3840 / 15.1MB
- Contained in galleries